Skill Building Through Racing
2023 Summer Regatta
1. The Renton Sailing Center Skill Building Through Racing Summer 2023 Regatta begins Tuesday, April 18 and continues weekly on Tuesdays Through August.
2. Participation is open to all RSC members and their guests, and it begins when the racer emails firstname.lastname@example.org and asks to participate in a particular event. Email requests to participate will be accepted between noon Friday and 6 PM Monday before the following Tuesday’s race. Participation in each weekly event requires a unique email request for that specific week.
3. The Race Committee will form the race teams (crews) and will assign the boats. Crews and boats will be assigned based on sailor’s experience levels, with the goal of maximizing learning opportunities (basic sailing, racing, and mentoring) with safety first, in a fun sailing environment.
4. The number of participants on any particular Tuesday will be limited by the number of boats we have available.
5. Rigging of boats will begin at 5 PM. Plan to be at the dock at 5:00 to help rig. Parking at Coulon Beach Park can be crowded on a warm Tuesday afternoon so plan accordingly.
6. 1st race will begin at 6 PM. The goal of the Race Committee will be to have the last race end before the end of local civil twilight, leaving time for competitors to derig boats before dark.
The Renton Sailing Center Board and the Race Committee are excited about another year of Skill Building Through Racing camaraderie and fun, and hope that you’ll consider joining us. Please read the Notice of Race and the Sailing Instructions for more information. If you have specific questions after reading those documents please email our Principle Race Officer, Chris Volk at email@example.com.
Links & Current Info
Notice of Race – Rules for our Tuesday night racing series.
Sailing Instructions – Information on how to participate.
Please note: These are the World Rules without the US Prescriptions (which I do not think have much effect on our ‘Skill Building Through Racing’)
A current copy of the RRS 2021-2024 with US Prescriptions can be found at https://www.ussailing.org/ either by joining US Sailing or purchasing a copy of the RRS.
New to Racing? Sailboat racing is a great way to become a better sailor fast. Whether you thrive on or detest compition you will learn a lot and all are welcome. Check out this Sailboat Racing 101 video so you’ll have some understanding of whats going on.
New to setting, dousing, and jibing the spinnaker? This video will orient you to how the asymetrical spinnakers work on the RS Vision and Quest